Does using glaucoma drops for a long time affect the success of Canaloplasty?
If you’ve been using glaucoma drops for many years, it’s possible that your surgeon may not achieve full catheterization during canaloplasty. That’s because using drops can have some long term effects on the natural drainage system. That being said, even if full catheterization cannot be achieved, generally pressure reduction can still be achieved by incomplete catheterization and dilation of the canal. This effect, long term of using drops, has more surgeons considering offering canaloplasty earlier before the long term damage has been done to the natural drainage canal. You may want to ask your surgeon whether or not you will be a candidate for canaloplasty earlier on in your glaucoma treatment.
Dr. David Richardson, MD. is a Board-certified Ophthalmologist and Eye Surgeon in Southern California. He is a recognized and respected, cataract and glaucoma surgeon; and is among an elite group of eye surgeon in the country performing the highly specialized canaloplasty procedure.
Canaloplasty FAQ Videos (with Transcript)
- How Long Does Canaloplasty Take?
- How Long Will my IOP Stay Controlled With Canaloplasty?
- How Will I Need To Limit My Activities After Canaloplasty?
- How Long Has Canaloplasty Been Around?
- Why Choose Canaloplasty?
- Why Do I Perform Canaloplasty as My Primary Glaucoma Surgery?
- What Does Minimally Invasive Mean?
- What If My Natural Drainage Canal Cannot Be Fully Catheterized?
- What Are the Risks of Canaloplasty?
- What Is The Big Deal About A Bleb Anyway?
- What If Canaloplasty Doesn't Work, Can I Still Have Traditional Glaucoma Surgery?
- Is Canaloplasty Surgery Painful?
- Is Eliminating Drops Worth The Risk Of Having Canaloplasty?
- Is Canaloplasty Really Safer Than Trabeculectomy?
- Is Trabeculectomy an Option After Canaloplasty?
- Will My Insurance Cover Canaloplasty?
- Will My Vision Change After Canaloplasty?
- Will Canaloplasty Cure My Glaucoma?
- Will I Be Able To Stop Using Glaucoma Drops After Canaloplasty?
- I Have Had Glaucoma Laser Surgery, Can I Have Canaloplasty?
- I Already Had Traditional Glaucoma Surgery, Trabeculectomy. Can I Have Canaloplasty?
- I Have Used Glaucoma Drops for a Long Time, Will That Affect the Success of Canaloplasty?
- I Have Heard That Canaloplasty Is Not As Effective As Trabeculectomy
- Can I Continue To Wear Soft Contact Lenses After Canaloplasty?